West University Place
The city of West University Place was developed by former Tennessee Gov. Ben Hooper in 1917. Proximity to Rice Institute inspired the name West University. It incorporated in 1925, ironically, because of a reluctance on Houston's part to extend power lines out "that far".
Now, about 13,000 residents live in this city that spans 1,248 residential acres and nearly 20 acres of commercial property. West University maintains strong inspection and permit policies as well as strict zoning regulations.
Because of the high demand for homes in the area, few vacant home lots remain. About five years ago, a trend began in the area. Older homes were razed and replaced with new, multi-story Georgian style homes.